Review of Google News



According to Wikipedia, Google News is “a comprehensive up-to-date news coverage, aggregated from sources all over the world.”  It contains the most up to date news in categories such as, Top Headlines, World headlines, Local News, Business, Technology, Entertainment, Sports Science and Health.  

Some of its various tools allows the user to Save searches and stories. It also has a feature that shows you stories that it thinks you might be interested in based on your previous viewed stories.  You also have the ability to search by topic, locations or news source. On the right side you have text boxis the local weather Fact Check section, Links for in-depth reporting of key topics, Spotlight and trending search terms.  You can search the news world by phrase, exact phrase, Exclude words, and date.

This website is invaluable for keeping you up to date with what is going on around the world. With it’s ability to search 1,000s of news services and pick out the top stories, provide links to the original source and the ability to search for up to 30 days makes this important for anyone who wants to be able to keep up with the talk around the water cooler. It has helped to introduce topics of importance to discuss with my class as well as to keep abreast with the ever changing trends in celebrities of not among middle school students.

Students can use this tool to be able to view current news at the speed of their fingertips. Teachers  who used to have their classes bring in an article for current events and summarize it can now have their students search google news for it. According to the mimio educator blog “studying current events helps students understand the importance of people, events, and issues in the news; it stimulates students to explore and learn more about the news, and to pay attention to the news they see and hear outside of school.

I would absolutely recommend this for educators professional and personal lives. As mentioned, it has helped me to relate to my middle school students as I can share with them from what I just read in Google News - how Taylor Swift is coming out with her new album or how Liverpool beat Chelsea 5 to 3 in the latest soccer match, or how Demi Lavato is getting married. These connections into areas of interest to them helps to build our relationship. Being a computer science teacher the Tech news section has given me much background for discussions on current tech topics.

 

“Current Events and why we need to teach them”. Retrieved  from https://blog.mimio.com/current-events-and-why-we-need-to-teach-them#:~:text=Studying%20current%20events%20helps %20students,and%20hear%20outside%20of%20school. Accessed July 23, 2020

“Google News”, Retrieved  from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_News  Accessed July 23, 2020


Comments

  1. Great blog Keith! You taught me more about Google News - which I had never used before this class, and now I'm curious and inspired for how it can be used in my personal life as well as professional. I teach Grade 2, so I'm not exactly sure how to use it with them, but I think that is awesome you have your students in middle school use it. This would have been so helpful to me when I was in middle school searching for current events for my history class assignments. In my personal life I always feel overwhelmed by the amount of news in the world, and I am not great at keeping on top of it. This tool could be helpful in making it easier for me to gain news knowledge. Thanks for the recommendation and the information. I learned a lot! I even listened to Taylor Swift's new album and Googled about Demi's engagement immediately after reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never used Google News before, but based on your review it sounds like a valuable tool. I like that it has different categories to search by and that you can save stories. The quote about how staying up-to-date on current events helps students to recognize the importance of the people and happenings around them is thought-provoking. Also, I definitely Googled Demi Lovato's engagement immediately after reading your post as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great source for current events! I am sure that the students would rather use this site ti keep up on the news. Thanks for sharing about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

3.8.2 Makerspace Blog

Blogs in Education